ASEAN chess championship to be hosted in Misamis Occidental

In Photo: Officials of the National Chess Federation of the Philippines with the Provincial Government of Misamis Occidental, led by Governor Henry S. Oaminal (bottom row, third from left) during the signing of the Memorandum of Agreement for the province’s hosting of the ASEAN+ Individual Chess Championships – Governor Henry Oaminal Cup.

Misamis Occidental is set to take the international spotlight in the world of chess as it hosts the ASEAN+ Individual Chess Championships – Governor Henry Oaminal Cup, a nine-day event running from November 2 to 10 at the province’s newly built Resort and Aquamarine Park.

Governor Henry Oaminal, Sr. expressed pride in bringing the event to Misamis Occidental, calling it both an honor and a responsibility for the province. “I want to support Philippine chess because I believe that with the right backing, our Filipino players can excel globally and have a real chance to earn prestigious Grandmaster titles. Filipinos have the talent and intellect to compete on the world stage. This tournament will inspire our young and aspiring athletes to elevate the country’s standing in the international arena,” he said.

The hosting marks a milestone achievement for the province under the stewardship of the governor, whose leadership and vision paved the way for Misamis Occidental to be recognized as a premier destination for international sports and tourism. Just last year, around 366 chess players from across the Philippines competed in the 2nd Gov. Henry S. Oaminal Open Chess Tournament held at the Aya Hotel and Residences in Clarin, considered one of the strongest chess tournaments ever staged in Mindanao.

Sanctioned by the ASEAN Chess Confederation, the upcoming tournament promises high stakes with Grandmaster (GM) titles and norms up for grabs. The Open category champion will automatically earn a GM title, while the runner-up will receive an IM title and GM norm, and the third placer will take home an IM title. In the women’s division, a Woman Grandmaster (WGM) title will be awarded. Other divisions for players rated 2000 and below and 1700 and below will ensure wider participation.

The tournament will feature players from 23 countries, including Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, India, Japan, Laos, Macau-China, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Chinese Taipei, Thailand, Timor-Leste, USA, and Vietnam.

Filipino chess luminaries are expected to banner the home team, including GMs Daniel Quizon, John Paul Gomez, Joey Antonio, and Darwin Laylo, WGM Janelle Mae Frayna, IMs Michael Concio, Pau Bersamina, Jem Garcia, and FMs Christian Gian Karlo Arca, Alekhine Nouri, and Ivan Travis Cu.

“This is more than just a tournament; it is an opportunity to showcase our local talent, promote our province on the global stage, and inspire the next generation of chess players,” Oaminal shared.

The event was made possible through the Memorandum of Agreement signing between the National Chess Federation of the Philippines (NCFP) led by Chairman/President Prospero “Butch” Pichay Jr., NCFP CEO GM Jayson Gonzales, and Governor Oaminal.

NCFP officials lauded Oaminal’s initiative, stressing that the tournament will not only boost chess development but also reinforce Misamis Occidental’s place as a hub for international events.

“This event is not only about winning medals but also about inspiring our youth and showing the world that Misamis Occidental and the Philippines can host tournaments of the highest caliber,” said Pichay.

###

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top