By Ivy Tejano
DAVAO CITY – The Davao City Social Welfare and Development Office is coordinating with workers affected by the situation at Davao Mighty Steel Corporation and will extend the assistance they need.
CSWDO met with the Department of Labor and Employment and the office of Councilor Pamela Librado-Morata on Thursday to discuss the workers’ situation and possible government support.
Over 300 employees of Davao Mighty Steel are seeking assistance after the National Bureau of Investigation raided the company’s plant in Barangay Ilang, Bunawan District, on August 13 over allegations that it was producing radioactive and substandard steel products.
Morata, chairperson of the Davao City Council Committee on Civil, Political and Human Rights, and Labor and Employment Opportunities, raised the workers’ concerns during a privilege speech before the City Council’s regular session last Tuesday.
She said more than 200 workers went to the Sangguniang Panlungsod on Monday, August 17, to seek help following the raid conducted by the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission and the National Bureau of Investigation.
According to the PAOCC and the NBI, the operation resulted in the “rescue” of 174 Filipino workers who were allegedly exposed to radioactive materials, dust, fumes, waste, and other hazardous substances.
The operation involved the NBI and PAOCC, with assistance from the Philippine Nuclear Research Institute, the Philippine Air Force, the Philippine Coast Guard CBRN units, the PCG Special Operations Group, and the Army’s 10th Infantry Division.
NBI Director Melvin Matibag later inspected the facility and seized materials, which authorities said would undergo further testing to determine their quality and compliance with government standards.
For the workers, however, their immediate concern is the loss of income and employment.
Morata said workers told her they were worried about finding new jobs after the raid and were also seeking the release of their two-week wages.
The workers also said the company had yet to issue an official advisory on their wages, employment status, or the next steps following the operation.
Morata said the CSWDO had already profiled more than 200 workers who sought assistance. Most of those interviewed were male, residents of Davao City, and had worked for the company for three to 10 years.
“The workers need sustained government assistance beyond temporary relief, including employment opportunities, legal support, and skills training,” Morata said.
Morata said her committee will conduct consultations and public hearings throughout August in coordination with the CSWDO, DOLE, Public Employment Service Office, and other agencies.
She also said her office is studying a proposed Workers’ Emergency Lifeline Ordinance that would provide temporary assistance to workers who lose their jobs due to unforeseen circumstances, including calamities, pandemics, and enforcement actions that lead to the suspension or closure of businesses
The councilor said the city government also hopes the affected workers can eventually return to work, while emphasizing that agency-hired workers remain covered by the city’s Workers Protection and Development Ordinance.
Morata said workers should be protected from harm while authorities conduct a fair and transparent investigation into the allegations against the company.
The investigation into Davao Mighty Steel remains ongoing.
Authorities are examining the seized materials, manufacturing processes, and company records before deciding whether to pursue further administrative or criminal action.
